Thursday, 7 April 2016

Poetry

I found a group on Facebook called Unit Study Roundup. Each week there is a topic for a Unit Study and each person blogs something to contribute to the collective unit study. I joined the group when it was too late for the blog entry on Poetry. I am going to blog about poetry anyway and put everyone's links here for my own reference.

Reciting poetry is a lost art. I never hear of anyone memorizing poems to recite. I had to memorize Bible passages and poems when I was in school. I think that it helps with memory.

I am going to include one of my new favourite poems here for your reading pleasure, it is called Daffodils and it is by William Wordsworth:

I wandered lonely as a Cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and Hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden Daffodils;
Beside the Lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:-
A Poet could not but be gay
In such a jocund company:
I gazed---and gazed---but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude,
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the Daffodils


Here are everyone else's links for their blog posts:

Poetry Handwriting Worksheet from 3 Boys and a Dog

How To Write a Nature Poem like Roald Dahl from FrogMom

Silly Limericks for Kids from Schooling a Monkey

Fun Poetry Activities for Kids from iGameMom

Poetry Books for Children from The Jenny Evolution

Apps for Creating Poetry with Kids from Parenting Chaos

Poetry Printable Copywork for Kids from The Natural Homeschool

Mother's Day Fingerprint Gift With Printable Poem from Play Dough & Popsicles

Poetry Writing for Kids: Using Metaphors from Planet Smarty Pants

Our Favorite Poetry Book for Kids from Our Daily Craft