Friday, 25 October 2013

Laugh and the World Laughs With You

I think jokes play a very important part of education and life in general. There are many types of comedy and jokes. We've learned about satire, parody, slapstick, and hyperbole to name a few.

Jokes are a wonderful tool for teaching literacy skills because some jokes have to be said aloud to be understood and some are best read or seen, as I found out this morning.

Let's look at this joke:

A man moved to Ireland because he got a job. He needed a new clock and it was a special kind of clock.

He went to the first shop on the street and asked if they sold potato clocks. The clerk told him no.

He went to the second shop, asked the same thing, the clerk told him no.

He went to every shop on the street and word started to get around.

He walked in, and asked if they sold potato clocks. The clerk said they didn't but then asked him why he was going into every shop and asking for a potato clock. He said we sell cuckoo clocks, carriage clocks, grandfather clocks, alarm clocks... what is a potato clock?

He said, "I don't know, but I start my new job at nine tomorrow, and my boss said 'You'd better get a potato clock."

A few people didn't get it because this joke needs to be heard to be understood. I had to type out the the other way of saying the punch line and then they got it (You'd better get up at eight o'clock).

This joke is joke that is funny whether it is heard or read:

Joe was driving through a little town and lost his way. He stopped someone and asked them for directions.

Joe said, "Can you tell me the quickest way to London from here?"

The man replied, "Are you walking or driving?"

Joe said, "Driving."

The man said, "That'll be the quickest way."

I enjoy a good joke and my favourite type of joke is of course the pun. I love playing with words and hearing how people react (or reading in the case of a Facebook share).

I will leave you with The One Ronnie to give you a good laugh or groan :-)

Now it's your turn to go and find a funny joke to comment on my post. Let's see who can come up with the best groaner. A joke a day keeps the doctor away because laughter is the best medicine.