Thursday, 1 March 2012

March; In Like Lamb

I sure hope that our expressions about March aren't going to be true! Today was March the first and it was a glorious day. It was practically warm enough to go out without a jacket on.

It was also World Book Day and so in honour of that, I did what any self-respecting home educating parent would do and went to a book store and bought my daughters some books.

M got Little Miss Twins and L got something that 13 year olds are into and then we went to the health shop to get a few bits and pieces and then to the stationer's to buy some bits and pieces from there, like cardstock (which the British call card, I found out) and then home again.

Before we did all of that though, we went swimming for 10:30 in the morning and we spent an hour and a half in the pool. It was fantastic and we walked to and from. Then we came home and ate our lunch and then L got ready for her violin lesson. I am fortunate enough to have found a violin teacher and a piano teacher who both come to my home to teach the lessons, which suits me down to the ground, then I don't have to drag two children out to a lesson and entertain one while the other has a lesson.

M is now working on learning about animals and we learned that the only animals that don't lay eggs are mammals and all other animals are born through hatching and laying eggs. She thought I was making it up when I told her that fish lay eggs (because all she could think of are the ones that we see from chickens and she knew there was no possible way a fish could make something *that* big!). L is working through the periodic table and starting to learn about DNA. We are also going to start an American history course. M will get the story form of British history called 'Our Island Story' by H E Marshall.

Today we got Toto, our flat traveller, ready and he flew through cyberspace to Hawaii today and we are so excited about that. Hawaii is a place I'd love to visit! So Toto will get to do the rounds while we host his family's travellers, a rabbit and a sea turtle :-) and yes, Toto is the dog from The Wizard of Oz :-)

Usually when M colours him, she colours a yellow line coming from his tummy ("he's peeing", she'll tell me) but this time she didn't [she must be maturing] and the other thing she always does is to colour him to look like a dalmatian. In any case, he's in Hawaii now, the mom from the other family told me that, so I am really looking forward to all the adventures he will have there!

Well, originally I said something about the weather, where I come from we say that March is in like a lamb and out like a lion, which means if you have good weather on the first day of March, you can count on the last day of March being a blinding snowstorm or something! Thankfully where we live, we don't get much snow, although there are exceptions to that.