Saturday, 5 March 2011

Books, books and more books

This week I received my eagerly awaited James Herriot's Treasury for Children. It is a collection of animal stories written by the well known vet and illustrated by Ruth Brown and Peter Barrett.

I have to say that the illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and so much more life like than other books I have seen. I read some of his books when I was a child and now I get to share some of his stories with my own children.

I received another book last week called Paddle-to-the-Sea by Holling Clancy Holling and again it is a beautiful book. it is the story of a canoe that has been carved by an 'Indian' boy (I guess to be PC I should say "First Nations") and this canoe makes a journey from Lake Superior to the Atlantic Ocean.

I am really looking forward to using that as a 'Geography' book with M.

L would like it too but it's a bit young for her, I suppose I could just have her read the stories to her sister and then she would get some enjoyment out of it too.

H C Holling also wrote Seabird and Minn of the Mississippi. I think I will have to get those books for us too as the Paddle-to-the-Sea looks like a really good read.

M is doing some reading from McGuffey's Primer Reader and L is reading anything and everything in sight.

Yesterday was drama and then ballet and today was tap and modern and then Latin and ballroom.

Tomorrow is possibly another busy day so I will have to wait and see what tomorrow brings but for now, this week was a good week and we achieved a lot.